Friday, July 2, 2010

Neighborly love

There is a lot of negativity in the world. Turning on the news can be a depressing adventure with the economy, the crime and the constant bickering in Congress. Has it always been like this? It feels different for me, but I don't know if that is just because I am getting older and I am noticing it more. It seems like when I was younger I didn't follow the stock market or get offended when someone did something contrary to my social expectations. Even better when I was younger I wasn't aware that so many things I could do could possibly offend people. This point was hammered home in planning a wedding. The logistics and invite list were two topics that I now had to worry about not because I cared, but because I was was worried about offending someone.

Because of that I would like to share a story that isn't negative and is something that brightened up my day. This wasn't anything big, but it is a point in favor that the world isn't as bad as it might seem. There are good people and good things that can happen and sometimes it is better to focus on that.

Here is the story.

On Wednesday before I started writing some thank you notes I decided it would be nice to have a cocktail. Since it is rarely proper to drink alone and M wasn't home from the Bullseye yet I decided to knock on my *neighbors door and offer then a drink. We are friendly with our neighbors and it isn't unusual for us to offer them drinks or treats just like it isn't unusual for them to help out with things like grabbing our mail when we are vacation.

*Neighbors in a duplex is different than other types of neighbors. We share a garage, a wall and it is hard not to know what is going on the other side. You don't want to be intrusive in their lives, but when you are going about your day to day activities you tend to run into their Mom, boyfriend, friends, etc. Even if you didn't say a word to them I feel like you would at least feel like you know some things about them. I didn't feel the same way when I lived in a condo or a real house.

Anyway, Emily (the 11 year old girl) opens the door with Peggy (her Mom) standing near by in the kitchen. This is how the conversation went:
  • Me "I was going to make some drinks, would you like any."

  • Peggy (being polite) "Yes that would be great if it isn't much trouble."

  • Me "No problem. Any preferences?"

  • Peggy (again being polite) "Whatever you are having or whatever is easiest."

  • Me " Emily... Do you have a preference?"

  • Emily (not playing or knowing the social game) "A smoothie"
Thankfully I had the ingredients (a Target smoothie package, some bananas and honey) to make a smoothie for her. In addition to that I also made some adult beverages for Peggy and I. They thanked me and I went on my way with the task at hand of writing some wedding gift thank you notes.

About an hour passed and I heard my doorbell ring. This was unexpected since I didn't know of anyone planning on coming over and also it is rare that if people do come over that they use the doorbell. I went to the door and there wasn't anyone there. I looked out and couldn't see anything in the distance. Then I checked the door and there was a note stuck there. On the outside was "Mary and Kevin" in a kids handwriting. On the inside was the following note:

"Mary & Kevin thanks yoo sooo much for always being nice neighbors like giving us drinks and cookies! That's so thoughtful. Thanks Emily."

To say that brought a smile to my face is an understatement. The kids are alright. The kids are alright.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Time to make some of your own. j/k. Sorta.

BC said...

I don't understand the "it's rarely appropriate to drink alone." You eat alone, right? You go out to a nice dinner by yourself (which I really enjoy doing because it's quiet and I can read)...and if you're having a nice meal, you'd probably want a good beer or a glass of wine to go with it, no?
Or, let's say you live with a 3 year old and a person who gets sometimes gets migraines when she drinks, yet you still enjoy the 5pm martini or beer. This is no sin.
I think this "drinking when you're alone is bad policy" is arbitrary and it's part of an agenda pushed by people who hate our freedom. Do you hate our freedom, sir?