Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Osama Bin Laden

"I remember where I was when" usually precedes a historical moment that everyone can relate to. For previous generations it has been Pearl Harbor or JFK's assassination. For my generation the first event that fit that criteria was 9/11.

It was a Tuesday morning in Oxford, Ohio during my first month of my freshmen year in college. I remember sitting in Biology class in Pearson Hall when someone mentioned that the World Trade Center had been hit by a plane. I didn't realize the severity of those words until I got back to my dorm room at Porter Hall and turned on the TV. That day was then filled with watching TV and trying to study for a Calculus test I had the next day. I remember the images and the fact that my Calculus professor wasn't going to delay the exam. It wasn't much of a surprise to me when I later found out how terrible I did on that test. Studying for Calculus was not a priority to me at that moment.

It is amazing to think of all that is changed in the world between 9/11 and Osama Bin Laden's death this past weekend. For me personally a lot has happened since I went from an 18 year old freshmen to a 28 year old corporate America worker. Below is just a taste of what has happened during those 10 years:
  • I completed 4 years of college and graduated from Miami University.
  • I traveled domestically to Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Jackson, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Wisconsin, Kansas City, Omaha, Bemidji, Chicago, Des Moines, Seattle, DC, Maine, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, Asheville, Florida and others that I am sure I am missing.
  • I traveled internationally to China, South Korea, Japan, Hungary, Austria, Spain, Canada and Mexico.
  • I met 3 out of the 5 groomsmen in my wedding, which shows that not all of your friends have to come from high school.
  • I met, dated, proposed and married my wife.
  • I've been in 3 weddings with only one of those times being on the groom's side.
  • I've had 4 different banks for my checking account.
  • I've gone from watching The Daily Show on tv to the watching The Daily Show on my computer.
  • I've gone from being employed as a summer camp counselor to my current role as an SAP SuperUser.
  • I've added the following ballparks to my list; The Metrodome, Target Field, Kauffman Stadium, Miller Park, Wrigley Field, US Cellular Field, Great American Ballpark, Jacobs Field, new Busch Stadium and National Parks.
In other words it has been a long time since 9/11. Despite the length of time that has passed I am happy that justice was finally served.

No comments: