Monday, July 16, 2007

Random Updates

Currently I am in between jobs. This might normally have a bad connotation, because it implies that I don't have a job and am currently looking for a job. However, in my case I do have a job that thankfully doesn't start until the middle of August. This gives me time to do things that I want to do. Those things include but aren't limited to :
  1. Start a blog: Follow-up: We will see how this goes.
  2. Read more newspapers, magazines and books: Follow-up: I finished the Sunday Times, ordered 4 books off Amazon.com, and have skimmed through two Time magazines.
  3. Play more Nhl 95: Follow-up: Luckily for me M has a working Sega Genesis system. Seeing that there hasn't been a better hockey game created since Nhl 95, I have decided to spend a few hours every day improving my old school Sega skills. Needless to say my 21-1 victory today with the LA Kings and Wayne Gretzky was very satisfying this morning.
  4. Go back home to Jackson: Follow-up: Booked my flight and I am ready to go home and see the wedding of a good friend.
  5. Go to Wrigley Field, Miller Park, and US Cellular: Follow-up: I am planning on going to all 3 parks in 3 days this upcoming weekend. Stay tuned for reviews on the parks.
  6. Finish Season 1 of the Wire: Follow-up: I have finished 4 out of the 5 discs. Overall, it is good but not as excellent as I thought it would be.
  7. Organize my pictures: Follow-up: I am still over a year behind, but hopefully after this afternoon I will be able to catch up to at least 2007.
  8. Family vacation: Follow-up: For a change the Malphurs family has decided to rent a cabin in Minnesota as opposed to the normal Florida beach vacation.
  9. Organize my fantasy football draft strategy: Follow-up: Yes, this is kind of strange. Yes, M makes fun of me. Yes, it probably doesn't really make that much difference to come up with a strategy. However, in order to be successful in my fantasy football league I like to think it helps to be prepared. Last year my research indicated that I should take Peyton Manning with the 4th pick, when most people are under the (false) assumption that you have to take a running back in the 1st round. I have finished 2nd the past two years after winning the 2003 championship, I want to get back to winning a championship.
  10. Watch the Twins get back in the race: Follow-up: I know this isn't anything I can do on this point, but I am hopeful that after last year anything is possible. The team just finished off a 4 game sweep of the As and now they have Le Tigres coming in town for a 3 game set. Wednesday night Santana is pitching against former Tar Heel Andrew Miller. Go Twins.

Last Thought: I haven't read or heard anything about this, but did anybody see Barry Bonds in All-Star Game. He came up in the bottom of the 3rd and hit a long shot to the warning track. Now wouldn't it have been great to see one of the game's all-time greatest players in his home park at an All-Star game hit a home run? Especially since he is about to break an all-time record? Too bad he couldn't have had some help. I mean the ball just had to go an extra 5-10 feet and it would been out of the park. Too bad Barry couldn't somehow enhance his performance in some way. I just wish there would have been some way for such a classy athlete to have his moment in the sun.

No comments: