Monday, April 5, 2010

9 years ago

Nine years ago at this time I was 18 and applying to college. I remember vividly going to Oxford, OH and seeing Miami University and deciding that was the place I wanted to spend the next four years of my life. I remember watching the Elite 8 game between Duke and USC with my Mom from the comfy Oxford Inn. That was a good trip and a good game to watch. In fact looking back on it 2001 was a pretty great year with high school graduation, going to Miami and Duke winning it all.

Now of course you know where I am going with this post. Today Duke plays Butler for the national title. Duke is going for their first title since I was an 18 year old considering Miami for college. The strange thing is that the feeling I am getting is more 1999 than 2001. In 2001 the game between Duke and Arizona was a toss-up, but in 1999 the Duke-UConn title game was considering a sure thing for Duke. I remember walking around the halls of St. Andrew's that Monday with an extra pep in my step. I knew that Duke was going to win that night. I mean they had a team with 5 early first round draft picks on it and had won all but one game. It didn't matter who they were playing in my mind. Of course we now know that UConn led by Ricky Moore and Richard Hamilton pulled off the upset.

Now, you can see what I am feeling like it is 1999 all over again. This year's Duke team is not nearly as good as the 1999 team, but this year's Butler is not nearly as good as that UConn team. Duke (like then) is a big favorite. Unfortunately you don't get any extra points at the beginning of the game because you are the favorite. Duke is going to have to hit some 3s, stay out of foul trouble and limit Hayward (Rip Hamilton?) from having a career night. If they do that they will win the game. Like most people I think that will happen and I think Duke will win the game 72-58. Of course I thought the same thing back in 1999.

No comments: