Thursday, September 25, 2008

Twins win again

Coming home tonight I walked into my building and saw something I don't remember ever seeing in that place before. I am sure it has always been there, but again it was never something I noticed. The object made me smile and think back to the truly remarkable game I just saw. The object was a broom.

I normally don't like to use the word unbelievable because for the most part that word is overused. Unpredictable or unlikely usually would be a better fit. However, I am making an exception now. The way the Twins swept (thus the broom reference for those non-baseball fans) the White Sox was unbelievable. After the game I found myself (in between many, many high fives exchanged with strangers) muttering to myself "I can't believe what I just saw." I felt like Jimmy V after the 1983 NCAA championship game. I had never seen a game like that before and I don't know when I will ever see one quite like that again.

To recap for those who didn't see the game: The Twins went up 1-0 and were cruising into the 4th inning. Then Murphy's Law struck the Twins and when the dust settled they found themselves down 6-1 and had gone from the starter having a perfect game to the bullpen. Then slowly they started chipping away. Through the course of the day the Twins had 15 hits (compared to only 7 hits for the White Sox) and they scored in 5 of the 10 innings. The most exciting part of the whole evening (besides the end) was in the bottom of the 8th. Harris doubled. Gomez singled him in with 1 out. Span then hit a triple in which Gomez came around and scored the 6th run to tie the game. After two disappointing at bats by Casilla and Mauer the game went to the 9th tied at 6-6. Nathan and Jenks battled through that inning and into the 10th inning. It then came down to Casilla with runners on 1st (Span) and 3rd (Punto). Casilla made up for his previous at bat in the 8th (when all he needed was a sac fly or a bunt) by coming through with a single over short to win the game 7-6.

Above is just the play by play recap, but in no way describes the emotions of the moments. Everyone was up and more into the game then I have ever seen before. The Twins gave the fans a game that nobody there will soon forget. Gardy said it was the loudest he had ever heard the Dome and tipped his hat to us. That is nice, but all we did was come and cheer. We didn't come back from 6-1 to sweep a series that required them to win every game. The Twins players deserve this credit and as a fan I thank them for that.

After Casilla's winning hit everyone in the Metrodome lost it. The fans stayed and cheered. When people finally left there was the happiest mob you could possibly imagine. Everyone was chanting, cheering, and basically going crazy. For a night there was nowhere anyone would rather be then the beautiful, quirky, much maligned Metrodome. For a night the fans saw the Twins take sole possession of 1st place in the Central Division.

No comments: