Friday, May 31, 2019

K Academy Day 3

I can't tell if I am being annoying (which is probably a strange way of starting a blog post) with my friends / family, but this is truly amazing. I just walk around here with a smile on my face. It's hard to keep up with everything that happens in one day. It's almost like a full year+ of experience all in one day. And then doing that again. And again for 5 full days. Here are some highlights from today:


  • We had film session in the Duke locker room to check out our games from the previous day. One of the plays was a 3 pointer I hit. I am not saying it looked exactly like my time at St. Andrew's, but it looked close enough. 
  • In the locker room they put up signs. And really these two signs should not be in the same locker room

  • Team went 2-0 again to bring our record to 4-0. We have two really good post players and a few capable shooters. We were lucky in our second game to play a team that was down 3 players due to injury. That made things much easier because they were very, very tired since they couldn't substitute anyone.
  • Injuries are a big topic of conversation at camp. I guess when you get a bunch of 35+ players who are high on adrenaline and want to push themselves there is a good chance a lot of them will get injured
  • I had one somewhat major scare in the early game at Cameron. The opposing team stole the ball and was going down for a 2 on 1 fast break. I sprinted back to try and either steal the ball (which was likely impossible because I started from so far behind) or foul the guy going up for a layup. I accomplished the second goal and in the meantime got tangled up and banged my head very hard against the floor at Cameron. The sound was very, very loud and immediately the Duke trainer and Chris Duhon (our coach) rushed over to check me out. They had me not move and asked me a few questions about being dizzy. Thankfully I was fine. My favorite question when they were evaluating me was when they asked who this was and pointed at Duhon. I immediately replied "that is Chris Duhon. He hit the game winning reverse layup against UNC in 2004. I think I even quoted the score (84-82), which now that I looked it up I was actually off. Duke won 83-81. Below is a picture before the game of Coach Duhon giving us advice

  • I hit some shots....mainly in the second game. I scored 10 points with a couple 3s. Also, I had 4 assists and look forward to seeing where I stand on the assist leader board. M and some friends have said I pass too much (probably true), but I enjoy getting everyone involved.
  • At the end of the game (when were up about 20) I tried an Nba range 3 and missed it completely. Chris Duhon asked me to do 5 push-ups so in the middle of the game I did them. When 2001 National Champion and one of Duke's greatest players ever asks you do pushup during a game you do them.
  • The afternoon was all about Minnesota. The team we played (and beat) was Team Minneapolis and before / after the game I did some shooting competitions with Matthew Hurt (from Minnesota). He is the 11th ranked recruit in the nation and I am happy to report that I was hot and actually beat him in the first two around the world 3 point contests. He did end up winning the series by winning the next 3.  We also played Horse and it was somewhat similar. I won the first (partly thanks to some fluky shots I use against one friend back home). He won the next two. he seems like a great guy and I am excited to see how he plays for Duke
  • During lunch I was behind Coach K in line for shrimp and cheeseburgers. He asked how I was doing and I said "great - my team is 3-0. Winning is pretty fun." He replied "That's excellent. Winning is really fun." I then thanked him for this camp, which he then gave credit to his wonderful staff
  • I met and talked to Justise Winslow (one of my favorite players from the 2015 national title team) while wearing a shirt that Justise's name on it. Of course I got a picture 


Off for drinks / dinner. One game tomorrow at 9:30am at Cameron. To watch the game go to:




No comments: