I have been reading a lot of college basketball articles touting the merits of a certain junior post player from the University of No Class. I don’t know why the media has such a love affair with this player, but I am here to provide a counterargument. Here are the top 10 reasons (in no particular order) why you should dislike Tyler Hansbrough:
- The constant flopping: Just because a player is awkward doesn’t mean you should call a foul every time. Next time you are watching a UNC game look for Hansbrough to power his way to the basket, flail his arms, shoot an awkward shot, and get the foul call.
- Teary eyes: Why does it always seem like Tyler Hansbrough is about to cry?There was the infamous bloody nose game from last year. Also there was the time when he got hit in the face against Duke in 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf7KE7JntJU or
- Awkwardness: With or without the face mask nobody plays or looks more awkward than Tyler Hansbrough. Basketball is a graceful game when played well and Hansbrough's anything but graceful.
- Poor Sportsmanship: Why was Tyler Hansbrough in a game with 20 seconds left and the Tar Heels up 12? You could say that it is Roy Williams’ fault for leaving him in and I might agree with that argument. Then the next question comes up is why did Tyler Hansbrough go up for a shot with 20 seconds left in the game that was already over? Most basketball players would get the rebound and then pass it out, run out the clock, and move on to the next game. Tyler Hansbrough wanted to work on his scoring average.
- Psycho T: Should we be rooting for someone whose nickname is Psycho T? I am not saying the nickname isn’t appropriate (it is), but should we be encouraging the youth of America to follow the actions of someone who from all account is psycho. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czlSRUUC1vc&NR=1
- Whiteness: There is JJ Redick white, Powder white, and then there is Tyler Hansbrough. Maybe SI should have picked another background besides white for their cover with Hansbrough on it:
I have been to Chapel Hill a few times and know for a fact they do have sun there. You couldn’t tell that from looking at Tyler Hansbrough. Does he have some type of skin condition we don’t know about? Does Psycho T lock himself in a gym during the daylight and practice his awkward jump shot? Also, not to go all Spike Lee on you, but do you think that one of the reasons that Tyler Hansbrough is getting so much attention is because he is white? He is not as good of college player as Chris Lofton from Tennessee or even his own teammate Ty Lawson. I can tell you that as Duke fan I am much more worried about Ty Lawson. The reason why is that he is a better player than Tyler Hansbrough. That brings me to the next point:
- Talent level. Something that is never mentioned in the articles that I read about Tyler Hansbrough is that he just isn’t very good. The reason he didn’t go pro wasn’t because he loved the college lifestyle or because he wanted to win a National Title. The reason Tyler Hansbrough didn’t go pro was because at best he was a late 1st round draft pick. If he would have been a top 10 pick like Brandon Wright, he wouldn’t be at UNC. Everyone is fawning over him, but Tyler Hansbrough doesn’t have half the skill of JJ Redick. Just in case you forgot here is JJ against UNC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIeggAWXvWs
In fact Tyler Hansbrough isn’t much different than Nick Collison, Sheldon Williams, or Josh McRoberts. In fact I would say that Tyler Hansbrough is definitely not as good as everyone just listed except for McRoberts. Check out a mock draft to see where Tyler Hansbrough is projected to go in 2009. http://nbadraft.net/index.asp?content=mock2009
- Success: Fill in the blank: In 2 years Tyler Hansbrough’s led teams have accomplished (blank). In case you didn’t know Tyler Hansbrough has never been to the Final Four. In both of the last two tournaments his team lost to teams (George Mason and Georgetown ) with less talent than the Tar Heels.
- Lack of Class/Dirty Play: Ask Brandon Costner about Tyler trying to slap him during a UNC loss to NC State: http://youtube.com/watch?v=o8HwU-toj2g
- Poor Public Speaking: During an awards banquet Tyler did the following:
1. Said: "I just want to thank my teammates (pause) for missing so many shots."
2. Accidentally called his coach the wrong name.
3. Egotistically announced that he was coming back for his Junior year
4. Punctuates the announcement with an awkward salute to the audience.
5. Finishes his speech by suggesting that UNC fire Assistant Coach Haase.
If you want to check out this 40 second clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-zgm62KBeg
Lets hope Psycho T never decides to become a comedian or a basketball announcer. He is much better suited for awkward white bench post player.
At least he has cool tribute videos like:
If you don't like that you can check out more of the egomaniac at http://www.tyler50.com/